Wednesday, 27 August 2014
In 1954 a creature stomped its way into Japanese cinemas that would become the most iconic movie monster to grace the silver screen. A franchise made up of 27 sequels and an American recut of the original later and Godzilla had undoubtedly earned it's place at the top of cinema's food chain; the king of the monsters. 1998 saw the first attempt at a US remake of the now classic film, a product that has gained notoriety as being one of the worst blockbusters of our generation and tainting an icon's cinematic legacy. Just under sixteen years later, and just in time for the original's 60th anniversary. Gareth Edwards has brought us a revitalised Godzilla film that not only honours it's original, it earns it's own spot beside it in the pantheon of great monster movies.
Gareth Edwards // 2014 // 123 mins
Sunday, 24 August 2014
Thursday, 21 August 2014
Friday, 15 August 2014
- So this was a pretty awful week, two legends of cinema have passed. Both of these wonderful actors had such an impact on my cinematic education, with Robin Williams dominating my childhood and Lauren Bacall being a later discovery once I began studying film.
- It's always upsetting when somebody whose career has given us so much dies, but I can at least take a small amount of comfort in knowing that I still have so many great films and performances to watch from both of these people. Although the reason's are tragic I will enjoy working my way through their respective filmography's and filling in the gaps.
-You've probably noticed that I've changed up the design of the blog a little bit recently. I will eventually finish this process, but I'm happy with how it's looking so far, I was getting tired of restricting myself to a single colour scheme for all of my posts so now I will be making each review look a bit more individual and colourful.
- The Babadook got another fantastic trailer. I'm really looking forward to this film, it looks incredibly dark and well made. Everything I've heard about it has been extremely positive so I'm hoping that it doesn't disappoint.
- I still haven't managed to go and see Guardians of the Galaxy, and I'm desperately avoiding spoilers on Tumblr as everyone on there seems to have seen it now. Hopefully I'll get a chance sometime next week to go, a new iMAX cinema has actually just opened near me this week so I might even treat myself.
- In other Chris Pratt related news, I'm going to start watching Parks and Recreation again soon after putting it on hold a while ago. I stumbled upon this blooper last week and actually hurt myself laughing at it, Aubrey Plaza is hilarious and Chris Pratt giggling at her is adorable.
- How adorable is Dane DeHaan in this gifset?! This boy will be the end of me.
- Me and my Mum have been rewatching Ally McBeal recently. The last time I saw this show I was barely a teenager and going back to it I can now see how incredibly unsuitable it was for me at that age. I knew the show was pretty sexually charged but damn!
- I also need to get watching season 2 of Bates Motel, there a spoilers galore on Tumblr from that show.
- In non-Film/TV related news, Square Enix have announced that the new Tomb Raider game, Rise of the Tomb Raider will be an X-Box One exclusive. What a dick move! I've grown up playing Tomb Raider on Playstation and have played every game I could get from a very young age. The new game was one of the reasons I was going to be buying a PS4 and now I basically won't ever get to play it.
- X-Box One sales have been paling in comparison to those of the PS4 and so it's very clearly a blackmail technique to get people to buy an X-Box. I hope nobody falls for this as they really deserve the game to sell poorly after treating their customers this way. If they though the sales for last years game were lacklustre I can't wait to see how they find the sales for this next game after cutting out two thirds of their customers.
As ever, you can find my Tumblr here and my Pinterest here.
Thursday, 14 August 2014
Wednesday, 13 August 2014
Friday, 8 August 2014
Tuesday, 5 August 2014
Friday, 1 August 2014
So I haven't posted for a little while because I've not actually been watching many films recently. I've mainly been working and binging on Teen Wolf. For some reason I decided to watch all three seasons of the show over two weeks and instead of the slew of other 'better' TV I currently have on my watchlist. I started watching it mainly for the hot guys, but it's actually kind of great and I really enjoy al lot of the characters and storylines. But onto more movie-related news.
- The first glimpse of Into the Woods finally arrived. I like the trailer itself and how they're still keeping so much of it under wraps, but I can't say I think it looks as good as I hoped. I also would have liked to hear a bit more of the actual songs, which I love.
- The fleeting glimpse of Johnny Depp as the Wolf has me the most worried. I'm so tired of his eccentric schtick, and I really hope he doesn't half-ass this performance like he has been for the last few years. He also looks completely CGI'd which I don't like the idea of.
- The Mad Max: Fury Road trailer is is gorgeous! This film really wasn't on my radar at all but it looks to be a beautiful film at the very least. Hopefully it's also good because theres some great talent involved.
- The trailer for Fifty Shades of Grey confirmed that the film was not a mass hallucination and is indeed happening. While I have zero interest in the film outside of Jamie Dornan potentially being naked for the majority of a film, the trailer is well made. I love the version of Crazy in Love that plays over it. I just can't get used to beardless Jamie, or the idea of this film actually being real.
- Birdman looks fantastic, Mockingjay Part 1 looks ok, Horns looks promising.
- I'm still working my way through finishing my reviews for every film I watched during the June 100, I just had a bit of writers block while doing them in order so I'm now doing whichever review I feel like at a time and will post them as and when each set of five is finished.
- I rewatched Under the Skin and loved it just as much. I'm writing my review for it but as it was part of the June 100 it might be a while before it does get posted.
-The SDCC feed all over Tumblr was such a tease, but it was great to see stuff as it was happening as I'm used to just reading recaps once it's over.
- I just want Age of Ultron to arrive now, waiting isn't fair. While there are so many films coming out soon that I want to see AoU just sounds like it's going to be sooo good.
You can find my Tumblr here and my Pinterest here.